If you, like me, were born with curly hair, you would know how hard it feels to manage them at times. I don’t remember how many times I wished that I had straighter, sleeker, and more manageable hair. Thanks to the Curly Girl method, my life has turned around quite a lot since then. However, I still have a soft spot for straightened hair. Hence, I learned quite early on, how to use a hair straightener. The tips and tricks I have gathered over the years will help you learn how to use a hair straightener and get the perfectly straight hair you always dreamed about.
Choosing your Hair Straightener
Difference between Hair Straighteners
While you may be under the impression that all hair straighteners are the same, it isn’t true. For you to know how to use a hair straightener, the first step would be to understand the differences between their types and choosing the right one for your hair.
- Tourmaline Straighteners: Hair straighteners that have tourmaline-coated plates are smoother on the hair due to the smooth surface that prevents the pulling and tugging of your hair. These are perfect for you if you do not know how to use a flat iron.
- Titanium Straighteners: Titanium straighteners have durable titanium plates that straighten even dry and coarse hair without leaving frizz behind. The plates release negative ions that bind with the positive ions in your hair cuticle and eliminate frizz altogether.
- Ionic Flat Irons: Similar to the titanium straighteners, an ionic flat iron releases huge amounts of negative ions to counter frizz.
- Ceramic Flat Irons: Even heat distribution is one of the key qualities of flat irons that have ceramic plates. It prevents any damage to your hair and gives a sleek look. If you do not know how to use a hair straightener, this one is another good choice.
Qualities of Good Hair Straighteners
The second thing you need to learn when studying how to use a hair straightener is the type of features that make a good hair straightener.
- Trusted brands: There are several hair straightening tools in the market. However, when deciding how to use a hair straightener for the first time, stick to a brand that is trusted for its quality. These brands include Remington, CHI and BaByliss Pro.
- Quality plate materials: Plates heat up your hair and help straighten it. Hence, the quality of plate materials is crucial in choosing the right hair straightener. Several people miss the whole point of how to use a hair straightener because they do not research the type of plate materials and end up damaging their hair.
- Automatic shut off: Several brands of hair straighteners have an automatic shut off feature that prevents the tool from overheating and causing unexpected damage.
- Adjustable temperatures: If you’re learning how to use hair straightener because you want to work on different hair types for special occasions, having a flat iron with adjustable temperatures will give you a lot more freedom to be creative.
Read More: Best Flat Irons For Curly Hair
The Right Tools to Straighten Your Hair
The next step in learning how to use hair straightener is to choose the right tools.
- A good hair straightener: Choose good quality hair straightener that meets the needs of your hair type and condition.
- A good hairdryer: For wet or damp strands of hair, having a good quality hair dryer on hand can really help you achieve a perfectly sleek look.
- Large clips: Using larger clips helps you in sectioning your hair perfectly for a comfortable experience.
- Tooth Comb: Hair that is fine often requires a big tooth comb for sectioning it before hair straightening.
- A brush: You can use a normal brush or a hair straightening brush to style your strands when straightening.
- Heat protection spray: A strong, high-quality heat protection spray is a must to give your hair strands the protection it needs from the heat.
How to Use Hair Straightener: A Step-By-Step Guide
Here is my detailed, step-to-step guide on how to use a hair straightener and achieve the perfect sleek look you always wanted.
Preparing the hair
- Wash your hair with a good shampoo and use an organic, highly moisturizing conditioner to prepare for the process. This also helps in protecting your hair from any damage.
- Dry your hair softly with a towel. Do not rub too hard and remove any moisture in your hair to prevent your hair from burning.
- Add some moisture to your hair by using a high-quality moisturizing solution that can prevent any dryness in the hair strands.
- Use a heat protecting spray on your hair. This is especially important if you have treated or coloured hair.
- Do not apply any of the mentioned styling products on the roots of your hair. That will only make your hair look greasy and unwashed.
Straightening the hair
- Firstly, to perfectly straighten your hair, select an appropriate temperature setting. Make sure that the temperature you choose is the right one for your hair. If you have any confusions about how to use hair straightener at the right setting, start working with the lowest temperature setting and then work your way up.
- Separate hair into large sections and clip them into place.
- Run the hair straightener from the top of your head to the end of your hair strands.
- Repeat the third step on all parts of the sectioned hair.
- Create some volume in your roots by applying a volumizing mousse on the crown of your hair and brushing it down to the ends.
Maintaining your hair straightener
- Take good care of your hair straightener by cleaning the plates regularly. Do not let product build up on the plate as it will only damage your iron.
- Let the straightener cool down before you store it. Storing an iron while it is hot can result in a fire. Additionally, always store your hair straightener flat.
- In case you notice that there is still a buildup on the plates, try changing your shampoo and conditioner.
- Fix any damage to the flat iron as quick as possible to prevent accidents.
If you didn’t know how to use hair straightener before, I hope that this detailed guide on choosing the right hair straightener and working it on your hair helps you achieve the perfectly sleek look your desired. While you’re at it, you could always search around to find some ways in which you can curl your hair with a flat iron.